Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Eureka!

I had prematurely judged San Rafael and its eating possibilities, and was wrong for doing so. Today's lunch adventure took me back on the freeway, but in the other direction. This time, going north, to Eureka!

A little Googling led me to 4th Street in downtown San Rafael. It was a strip of stores, banks, restaurants, and coffee shops. After walking around for several blocks, scouring for a fun place to eat, and picking up paper menus along the way, I wandered into Sushi to Dai For. Sure, it was a risk to go for Japanese food at a place I had no clue about, but it looked clean and there were people inside.

I ordered their bento box lunch special, which came with salmon teriyaki, croquettes, cucumber salad, California rolls, and miso soup. The warm miso was a nice change from the blustery onset of a storm outside but a tad bit too salty. It also, strangely and powerfully, warped my chopsticks so that they crooked like an old lady's spine. The cucumber salad was made of thinly sliced cucumber and dressed with a clear slightly sweet and slightly salty liquid--very refreshing. The salmon was good but a on the dry side, a tad bit overcooked. The croquettes, which I honestly didn't have any idea what they were when I ordered, were deep-fried starchy things. Tasty, but I wasn't really expecting deep-fried. But, they weren't greasy. The California rolls were good, made of a creamy crab mixture. And, randomly, there was a broccoli spear, relegated to its own bento box compartment, and covered in some indistinguishable sauce. I had no idea what it was and couldn't taste it out either.

Ah, so many new places to dine now. A whole world of blogging opportunity. And, if anyone is ever in San Rafael (I don't know why anyone would ever be in San Rafael), hit me up--we'll do lunch.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

croquettes are made of a mashed potato mixture with vegetables or ground beef or plain that are covered in panko flakes and deep fried. i've made them before at home and i'll make them for you when i come up.

Thursday, June 09, 2005 5:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home