Thursday, June 02, 2005

Drive 'n' dine

It's lame that I have to get in my car to find a decent place to eat in San Rafael. It's even more lame that I have get onto the freeway and drive to what was described to me as "downtown" in a place called Larkspur. But that's what I did today--I got in my good ol' Buddy and drove, drove to food.

I wound up at the Bon Air marketplace (apparently Larkspur was founded by the French?). It looked like a very suburban quasi-strip mall deal, filled with blonde women and whiney children. I was beginning to doubt whether or not it was worth the drive.

There were the usual suspects--Jamba Juice, Peet's Coffee, Subway--and others that looked promising. I ventured to a diner place, whose name I can't recall since I can't remember if there was even a name to it other than simply "Diner." It looked like a safe bet. Plus, there were people sitting outside, seemingly enjoying themselves, so it couldn't be too bad. Since I had burgers straight for the past several days, I opted not to get a burger and ordered a turkey club with a side salad instead.

It was delivered to me on an oval plastic plate that looked as if it was breakable. The salad looked a bit dry and I worried that because I didn't tell them what sort of dressing I wanted that they decided that I wanted none. I was wrong. The salad was lightly dressed with some sort of something. I don't know what it was, but it was sweet and slightly tangy.

The sandwich was fine. The bread was a bit too toasty so by the time I was done, the top of my mouth was a bit raw. There was a bit more mayonaise on it than I usually prefer, but it took the edge off of the harsh bread. I forgot that club sandwiches come with bacon so I was surprised to find the salty crunch in between the bread. The turkey was moist and the tomatoes nicely sliced. Not a bad sandwich overall, but not a spectacularly good one--just barely able to warrant the drive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home