Friday, May 27, 2005

Faux onions?

I met Jon today for lunch at a cafe near his workplace in North Beach. I walked to his place from the BART station, which isn't that far of a walk but I've developed the habit lately of getting all sniffly whenever I'm walking for more than like five feet, so I showed up all snotty in the nose and a bit sweaty. Eh, it was only Jon.

We went to this little cafe place across the street from the park. I had a salad with mixed greens topped with a fillet of halibut. Jon ordered a pizzetta with sausage, mozerella, and mushrooms after he was told that he couldn't have his eggs scrambled because the cafe didn't own a stovetop. Interesting, I thought.

My salad was fun. The halibut wasn't as I had envisioned it. I was expecting it to be grilled or seared or something (which I should have figured wasn't going to happen since the cafe didn't have a stovetop, as we were told) but it seemed as if it was dehydrated or something. I couldn't quite tell. It was a bit salty though. Preserved in some sort of manner. There were also these little onion-looking things that didn't taste a thing like an onion. They were sweet and crunchy. And, sadly, there were only two of them. I could have eaten a whole bowl of those mini-faux-onions. The salad was topped off with cherry tomatoes and capers.

Jon's pizzetta was big and looked good.

1 Comments:

Blogger S said...

You left your boogery tissue on my desk, by the way. I'll mail it to you soon!

Sunday, May 29, 2005 12:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home