Sunday, May 15, 2005

Killer tuna

I've been having some issues with food lately. The most recent and disgusting of which is that I threw up the other night. Not pretty, I assure you. Nausea overtook me for some reason. (You get the good and the ugly with this blog of mine.) I have a strong stomach, so I was worried, slightly fearful, and, more than anything, confused.

But, I think I've rebounded and tested my stomach this afternoon with a true challenge: the tuna melt. Don't scoff. The tuna melt is a trickster. Fish, mayo, onions, cheese--all the perfect elements to turn any stomach awry. And, if done poorly, you may be left praying to the porcelain mantle. The horror, the horror.

It's been two hours since my sandwich and my stomach seems to be doing okay so far. The sandwich was a good one, not great though. The tuna salad was a mix of leftover vegetables that were on their last legs in my fridge: four green onions that were all curvy and turning brown at the tips and some slightly limp celery. I only had about two spoonfuls of soy mayo so I had to do a soy-mayo-regular-fatty-may combo. Two cans of tuna, lots of pepper, and a dash of salt completed the salad. As for the sandwich, I sliced some sharp cheddar and a lone tomato that needed to be eaten soon as well.

The heat was on too high and so the bread was a little more toasty than I would have preferred, but not bad. It's a difficult balance of heat when making a tuna melt since I like my tuna warmed too but too much heat will cause burnt bread. And, because there was a little bit too much tuna for one sandwich but not enough for anything else, I had way too much tuna salad in between my bread. It was slightly overwhelming. Tuna salad oozed from the sides. The bits that fell off onto the pan while cooking, however, were very tasty and crispy. (Note to self: next time when in possession of extra tuna salad, cook the leftovers as little tuna cakes rather than trying to squeeze all of it between two slices of bread.)

Even after all the extra tuna, the extra mayo, and a little bit too much onion, my stomach is still doing fine. Let's hope it lasts.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for poisoning your food and making you nauseaus. The poison was intended to incapacitate you, not make you sick (I'll need to have a word with my supplier about that). If I'd known that would happen I'd have just clunked you over the head instead. A sick captive is a burdensome captive, as they always say.

Monday, May 16, 2005 12:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home