Friday, April 15, 2005

Déjàvu Dining

I thought I was doing pretty well with the posting of things on this blog for a while, but then the week got busier than I planned. Er, or, yes, I'll admit it, a bit lazier than I planned. So, here's the week's recap:

Monday, April 11
-Leftover endamame salad with feta, lemon zest, sun-dried tomatoes, and olive oil.
-Leftover spring rolls.
-My daily orange from Mom. (She sent up a huge bag full of oranges with Jeanne and Justin too that I've been slowly and steadily working on eating.)
-It was salad and spring rolls for breakfast, lunch, and dinner--I have a problem with quantity control when I cook.

Tuesday, April 12
-Toasted onion bagel with lox and cream cheese. (Why are lox called lox, by the way? Does anyone know? So good though.)
-More spring rolls.
-A black and tan ice cream soda at Ozzie's Soda Fountain with Susie.
-Finally, the last of the spring rolls.
-An orange.
-Chicken enchiladas with rice, beans, cabbage, a huge dollop of sour cream, and a Modelo especial (I don’t know what made it special) from some place in Oakland with the nicest waitress ever.
-Four Girl Scout thin mints.

Wednesday, April 13
-Omelet with ham, onions, cheddar, and toast.
-Creamy tomato soup and stoned wheat crackers.
-An orange.
-Spicy coconut soup that I made with rice noodles. Totally delicious and easy. Here’s the deal: Heat 4 cups of chicken broth, 1 cup water, 1 ½ cups of coconut milk, ¼ cup fish sauce, ¼ cup lime juice, zest of one lime, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 ½ stalks of lemongrass chopped up, and thinly sliced ginger in a pot. Simmer for about 15 minutes. You can add chicken or seafood to it if you wish. I had a combination of scallops and shrimp. Cook just until tender. Add two teaspoons of chili sauce and chopped cilantro. Simple. The sucky part is that there was all this inedible lemongrass that I had to pick out. I would suggest chopping up the lemongrass, putting it in a tea infuser, and then removing it before eating.

Thursday, April 14
-A bowl of Smart Start cereal with non-fat milk.
-Leftover noodles and soup.
-An orange.
-A Junior Bacon Cheeseburger and Biggie Fries from Wendy's. Yeah, I ate at Wendy's and not just any Wendy's but probably the saddest one in existence on Broadway and 12th St. in Oakland. The counter lady was telling a customer to say please when asking for water and three cups of ice. I was hungry and that was the only thing that was open at 4 in the afternoon for some reason.
-A Portobello and tomato pesto sandwich from the café/cafeteria thing at CCA in San Francisco. A rather surprisingly good sandwich.
-Yogurt with banana slices. But, it wasn't just any yogurt--it was whole milk yogurt. Yuck! I made the mistake of buying the wrong yogurt and buying the big tub too. It wasn't too bad though. I actually couldn't feel the fat coating my tongue like I can with whole milk.
-Six thin mints.
-Wheat crackers and fancy cheese.

Friday, April 15
-A Crunchy Peanut Butter Cliff bar and banana as I'm driving.
-More rice noodles and coconut soup.
-A grilled cheese sandwich with a better cheese to bread ratio and tomato soup.
-An under-ripe nectarine.
-Five strawberries.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

why don't you make something with all those oranges? like orange... uh, bang! yeah, make orange bang. or peel and segment them and put them in the freezer for yummy goodness later. they'll last forever in the freezer, or at least longer than that two year old dried out piece of chicken you contemplated eating. before i forget, justin's mad at you because you never wrote about our oyster shucking field trip.

Sunday, April 17, 2005 9:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some research revealed that lox is a yiddish corruption of the german term for salmon: Lachs.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 9:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home