Thursday, April 07, 2005

Stick it to 'em

After a monstrosity of a lunch yesterday, I knew I had to make it up with dinner and knew that I would since I was going to dine with Erin. We went to Asqew Grill on 16th and Market, which apparently grills everything. The line was out the door at this place, which seemed to bode well that I wouldn't be having a repeat of my disappointing lunch.

I ordered a half order of the chicken, basil, pesto skewer with red onions and crimini mushrooms on a bed of garlic mashed potatoes. Erin had their barbeque chicken skewer with corn and a side of asparagus. After a bit of a wait and a couple of table changes, our food finally made it, the asparagus first. We gobbled that dish up. The vegetables came perfectly grilled--crunchy yet tender, although I had a piece that was still quite woody at the bottom (they should trim better)--and we topped it with a squeeze of lemon and a drizzle of some pinkish-orange sauce that we struggled on figuring out what comprised it. It was a yummy, slightly tangy, and creamy sauce. I kept dipping my finger in it. Erin had enough class to use a fork.

My chicken skewer plate arrived and I was happy. Bits of chicken and mushroom stuck on a stick. Stick food, really, is the best food. I was nervous about the mashed potatoes though. For the longest time, I wouldn't touch them and would even wince when friends would order it because of an upsetting school lunch incident in the 6th grade that left me ill and scarred. The ones last night caused no stomach turning. They were actually quite tasty too. They were a bit fluffier than I like, but there was something appealing about it, like I was eating clouds. The potatoes just melted on my tongue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home