Thursday, April 28, 2005

Wild boar

Last night, some friends and I went to the Toronado bar on Haight St. for Belgian beers. Apparently, April is Belgian beer month there and we couldn't pass it up. What actually sparked my interest was the sausage place next door, owned by the same guy who owns the bar, that serves just sausages on French rolls that you can take and eat at the bar out of little plastic baskets. Beer and sausages. Wonderful.

I ordered a wild boar sausage with grilled onions and spicy peppers. As Colin and I were waiting for our order, we passed the time watching the waitress mess up every order before ours and including ours. She did it in such a well-mannered way though that you couldn't get mad at her, and no one did. One guy said he would pay for and eat the two sausages that she cooked for him that weren't actually the ones he wanted originally. And, Colin bought the extra sausage that she thought we wanted.

The wild boar sausage was interesting. I'd never had one before. It was dark and very meaty. I think gamey might be the best way to describe it. Rather a bold sausage, I might say. The onions weren't quite as I hoped them to be. They were grilled but not grilled where they're really good, when the onions just caramelize and are soft and sweet. These onions were just slightly cooked, still crunchy, and still tasting very much like raw onions. The spicy peppers I got were spicy, spicier than I had expected too, which was a nice surprise. All in all, it wasn't a bad sausage.

The tough part, however, was eating it. The sausage juices got absorbed by the roll and the roll was falling apart. It was a bite of sausage, a bite of roll, and bites of the peppers and onions picked up with my fingers. A bit troublesome. But, perhaps I need to brush up on my sausage-eating skills.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there, I experienced the falling apart fiasco, and it was gamey. I had the duck and fig sausage with ¡sauerkraut!

Saturday, April 30, 2005 4:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home