Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Burgers and booze

I love barbeques. Good food, friends, and drinks. And, what makes them even more awesome is when they take place on my balcony, with a lovely view of the Berkeley hills, and I only have to journey across the apartment barefoot in my barbeque pants (yes, I have barbeque pants--the pants I always wear when I barbeque, hence the name).

Sunday's barbeque had burgers galore. Hamburgers made with ground chuck and love for the meat-eaters. Grilled Portobello mushrooms topped with mozzarella and tomato pesto as well as Gardenburgers for the non-meat-eaters.

I went a bit overboard on the salads. First, there was the endamame, feta, and sun-dried tomato salad, that is always a winner. Then, there was the potato salad, two pot-fulls of it. And, I also made a "gazpacho" salad, with cucumbers, bell peppers, and tomatoes, tossed with a lemon vinaigrette. I've been eating salad for days (and am actually eating the bean salad as I type).

And, if all that food wasn't enough, my good friends were good enough to bring more. Not only did Susie and Zyde bring corn to be grilled, they also brought along a cheddar cheese platter. Eleanor brought along a beautiful cheese wheel thing that consisted of alternating wedges of queso fresca and some sort of jam / fruit preserve that I think was much to beautiful to have eaten but I ate the pieces off the cutting board and it was yummy. Adrian brought some fish that was pink like salmon but wasn't salmon and a bottle of sake. And, Jon brought along a carrot cake, pulled out of his shoulder sack thing, which was delicious for a carrot cake--nothing like the kind out of a box.

And, of course, there were drink and popsicles. And, still, so much of it left. I could only do so much to drink all the mojitos, beer and lemoncello, and eat all the fudge-cicles without getting terribly sick. I'm a good eater and drinker, but not that good. So, here's my invitation: if you want to stop by, hang out, play Scrabble while eating cheese, popsicles, and drinking beer, drop me a line.

5 Comments:

Blogger S said...

Oh, you play Scrabble! Did you know I grew up playing Scrabble and Shari refuses to play with me anymore because I always beat her? Be my new Scrabble partner! Oh, and please move closer to me or a Bart station.

The party was lovely, and I can't believe I missed a bean salad. Damn.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 6:44:00 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

do you think all that food will last until mid-june when i'm coming up? otherwise, you'll have to cook everything for me again.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 12:42:00 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Ted,

I'm thinking of moving closer to you and you know that. Who knows if it'll happen though or when. In the meantime, I can pick you up from the BART station. And, I finished the bean salad for breakfast today. No more beans!

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 10:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for the record, i stopped playing scrabble with jon because i just decided that. and it's not cuz he beats me, it's just cuz i don't want to anymore. okay?
and also the food at your bbq was delicious and your many efforts were VERY MUCH appreciated, especially the efforts to be vegetarian-friendly! cow-huggers love you susan!

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 5:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i mean ted

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 5:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home