Sunday, December 24, 2006

Yet another wedding banquet

I've been to plenty of Chinese wedding banquets in my life, and they're all the same. Same food, same people, same clinking of dishes to make the couple kiss. This time, I had no idea who the bride and groom were, as is true with most of the wedding banquets I've gone to. But my parents had asked if we wanted to go because, afterall, it would be a free dinner, and how could we really say no to that.

We showed up at 888 Seafood Restaurant where the banquet was being held and greeted and congratulated the couple on our way in (the bride had on a very pink dress with lots of taffeta that didn't seem appropriate for her age or the occasion). My parents, Jeanne, Karen, and I got seated a table with four old men who my parents didn't know. We got the bottle of wine open and started pouring drinks. My dad poured Hennessey for himself and the other old men at the table. I asked for some too, and as I was sipping my drink he warned me that if I were to drink on an empty stomach that I'd get drunk and lightheaded, and that the best way to not get drunk is to eat foods rich in fat as I drink. He poured me a glass of wine too (and, I got a beer from him later in the night). Thanks, Dad.

Jeanne and I tried to guess what food would come out and in what order. We hit the target with the appetizer. It was the usual appetizer plate--a cold platter of roasted duck, roasted pork, barbeque pork, and a this crunchy, slimy thing that I never knew its English name. Next came deep fried seafood balls with a sweet and sour sauce; we didn't get that one. Then came sauteed scallops with snow peas; I hit that one right on the nose. Sharkfin soup was the net course; guessed correctly at that one. Mustard greens with abalone and mushrooms followed; I got that one too. Stir-fry lobster was next; we scored that as well. Out came the steamed fish; nailed that one. Next came the fried rice; we guessed that it would either be fried rice or noodles next. And, after the fried rice, came dessert of a taro paste with lotus seeds and dried dates; Jeanne got that one. Platters of slices of cake on plastic plates with plastic forks piled up slice after slice came out after the dessert. I guessed the cake but not the presentation.

We finished our drinks. My dad took the unfinished bottle of Hennessey with him, and we walked home.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home