Monday, November 06, 2006

Nick's Crispy Tacos

A taco shop named after a guy named Nick doesn’t quite have the authenticity appeal as a place with the word taqueria in it. But we would try it out anyhow. Sara met me at my office and we drove along Polk to Broadway for lunch at Nick’s Crispy Tacos.

When we stepped through the doors of Nick’s, I was immediately confused and was trying to piece together what the appropriate procedure was. This happens to me quite often when I’m at a new restaurant and don’t want to stand out like an obvious newbie. I saw a menu posted to the wall. I saw people lingering around the entryway. I saw a lady standing behind a cash register. I think I figured it out. I’d choose something off the menu, step up to the lady behind the cash register, place my order with her, and then I stand around and wait. Simple enough.

The menu had the usual taqueria items -- tacos, burritos, chips -- in various flavors --chicken, carne asada, fish. For a place called Nick’s Crispy Tacos I thought I should try a crispy taco, but then memories of those “crispy tacos” from all those late-night post-bar trips to the Jack In the Box crept up on me, and I decided against it. I had ordered two carne asada tacos with guacamole, not crispy. The lady handed me a plastic number attached to a metal stand. I took the number and a seat, and was once again confused.

It seems as if Nick’s Crispy Tacos moonlights as a dance club of some sort. Amongst the tables covered with floral-printed plastic table cloths, plastic folding chairs, and squeeze bottles of salsa, were red leather booths, a disco ball, glass chandelier, and a large bar area. It seemed odd but right at the same time, as if it was the perfect combination of Friday night fun housed under the same roof--dancing, drinking, and tacos.

As I was admiring the décor, my tacos arrived in a little red basket and wrapped in sheets of parchment paper. The large globs of guacamole glowed bright green, and I doused the tacos with splashes of sauce from the mysterious red and green plastic squeeze bottles on the table. I took a bite and it was yummy. The two corn tortillas that blanketed the meat and guacamole filling were warm and soft. The meat was well-seasoned with hints of a smoky flavor. And the guacamole tasted of fresh avocados.

I scarfed down my two tacos and wanted more. I didn’t even have chips to satisfy me. But, we didn’t order more food. We left with thoughts of returning, perhaps when the sun was down, now that we were no longer Nick’s Crispy Taco newbies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home