Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Sickness sustenance

I've been sick for the last several days and have spent most of those days eating the leftovers of what I believe constitute salubrious sustenance--vegetable soup and rice porridge.

The vegetable soup was simple enough to make. Get a whole bunch of root vegetables (carrots, anise, turnips, potatoes), throw them with some other veggies (celery, onions, leeks, and garlic), put them in a pot of water, and cook away. It seemed gross when I explained it to Scott but it was actually quite good and hearty and vegetarian friendly (I even invited Shari over to eat).

I made the rice porridge earlier that Saturday (for some reason I thought an almost liquid diet would be the way to go, at least for the sake of my sore throat). The porridge was my usual favorite of pork and preserved duck egg. Ever since Jeanne and Stevie taught me how to make it, I've made it whenever the craving hit. I used chicken stock as the base this time, threw in a hefty handful of ginger, and let the dried scallop soak long enough to not be chewy. I still haven't quite figures out the water to rice ratio, but it didn't matter. It was still satisfying enough for someone with a lack of much of an appetite to want to eat it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home