Monday, February 16, 2009

What the World Eats

When Ian and I were at the Museum of African Diaspora on Saturday, I noticed a large photo of a family in its kitchen and surrounded by food. I stared at it for a little bit, trying to make sense of what it was and a little disgusted by all the unhealthy food products. Ian told me that it was part of a larger photography project by Peter Menzel called "Hungry Planet: What the World Eats."

Time and NPR covered the project, and you can read about it at these links: Time and NPR.

It's amazing and disturbing to get such an intimate view of a family, its lifestyle and relative wealth, through what they consume. And, it's frightening to recognize familiar products repeated throughout the photos.

Maybe Jacob Leland was right when, as we were sitting in a New Orleans bar in the Marginy, he said that I should be a food anthropologist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home