Sunday, January 18, 2009

Farmer's market pick-up

It's been a while since I've been hit on by random men. I sort of forgot what it looks and feels like. But, today, as I was shopping at the Civic Center Farmer's Market for goodies for Tuesday's Inauguration Breakfast Party hosted at my house, I was reminded of how silly it is.

My menu for Tuesday's breakfast would consist of two frittatas (one mushroom, onion, and spinach, and the other olives, feta, and sun-dried tomatoes), roasted potatoes, banana bread, and maybe some sausage if I feel like we really need meat. I was armed with my list of things to buy and was going to keep my eye open for other produce that looked especially good.

The first stop was the nut guy. His table was lined with bags and bags of different types of nuts, but I just needed some shelled walnuts. I asked him for about half a cup or so, asked him what that looks like, asked him for a little more, then a little less.

Here's our conversation:

Nut Guy: I've never seen anyone so capricious!
Me: I'm making bread. I want to make sure I have the right amount.
NG: Are you a cook?
Me: I cook.
NG: Or, do you just think you do?
Me: I just think I do. Thanks.

I packed the nuts in my bag and noticed how I actually needed more walnuts than what I bought but was a little embarrassed to go back for more, especially after being so unsure the first time about how much I needed. So, I made my way to the other stands. I picked up some cute little button mushrooms, some onions, some Yukon Gold potatoes, a flat of eggs, and some Asian greens (I'm not sure what they're called but have cooked and eaten them before) for a stir-fry later this week. I realized that it would be stupid for me to go buy more walnuts somewhere else and headed back to the nut guy.

Me: Hi. I'm back. I'm sorry, but I realized that I needed more walnuts.
NG: That's okay. What's your name?
Me: Susan.
NG: I'm Marcella (I think that's what he said).
Me: Nice to meet you.
NG: You have this great aura around you.
Me: Well, it's hard not to when it's a beautiful day and you're shopping for food.
NG: No, you have this energy. I can feel it.
Me: Um, well, thanks.
NG: You would be a wonderful person to get to know.
Me (walking away): Oh, thank you.
NG: Really. Think about it.
Me: Okay. Have a good afternoon. See you next week.

Who knew that my aura of greatness exudes from me as I'm purchasing nuts? Perhaps with my new friendship with Nut Guy, I can get some free nuts.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home