Saturday, November 08, 2008

Cake Cafe and Bakery

I had breakfast at noon today. Sara didn't come back until late in the morning, which was good because I had time to sleep in late, go for a jog, shower, and get cleaned up. But, it was horrible because by the time she and Elizabeth came to pick me up, I was so hungry. They were too.

We walked a few blocks to Cake Cafe and Bakery, which looked unassuming from the outside. There were some plastic, white patio tables and chairs along the sidewalk. Sara quickly ran over to one, claiming it as ours. Inside, there was a counter, where orders were being taken, behind which were trays of bread. There were also pastries on display: cupcakes, bear claws, these things that looked like mini quiches. I told the man behind the counter that I wanted the crab omelet with a biscuit and a cupcake. Which one, he asked? What's the yellow one? I asked. Lemon. I want that one then. He gave a knowing look, as if I had chosen the best cupcake of all cupcakes.

Proud of my cupcake choice and with cupcake in hand, I headed back to our table, where I cut that little sucker up and at a piece. It was delicious. Lemony and sweet without being too sweet. And, the lemon frosty was yummy too. For a cupcake, it was refreshing. And, the cake was light and airy but not too weak like box cake. I wished there were more lemon cakes.

Then, our plates come out. I had a pile of yellow omelet with a humongous biscuit on the side. It was the largest biscuit I had ever seen, or eaten. I dug into the omelet first. I could see still see the intact slices of brie and the large clumps of crab meat. It was good. The crab was the best part. It tasted like fresh crab meat and there was plenty of it. But, I think the biscuit won out. That giant biscuit and that berry preserve were incredible. The biscuit was flaky and warm inside, but crisp on the outside. And, the preserve was just sweet enough. I slathered my biscuit with jam and then used the biscuit to wipe out every last pit of it from its small plastic container. I could have eat just biscuits and jam alone. I cleaned my plate, as did Sara and Elizabeth. We finished the meal with a heavenly Red Velvet cupcake.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home