Sunday, January 04, 2009

Better Boston days

I might be turning a new leaf towards Boston. Last year when I went to visit, the city left a bad taste in my mouth. But, on this trip, I actually enjoyed my time there.

Susie and I had a great Boston day Saturday. Though it was still cold (about 34 degrees), the sun was out and the sky was clear. We started our day at the Haymarket, where vendors were selling produce for ridiculously low prices. Ten avocados for a dollar! A box of mangoes for a dollar! A box of oranges for a dollar! I couldn't believe how cheap the produce was and felt like I should be buying food, even though I would be getting back on a bus to New York the next morning. The sidewalk was crowded with people eying the food in the stalls, trying to find the best bargain. This was not the Boston I had seen on my previous trip. Here were my people. It was loud and crowded and full of people of all different races and ethnicities. And, I loved it.

We then walked over to the North End to have lunch. The place Susie had wanted to eat at was closed until 5pm, so we ate at Florentine Cafe instead. Over pasta (spaghetti and meatballs for me, fettuccine carbonara for her) and a bottle of Chianti, we chatted and stared out the window. It was a leisurely, lovely meal.

Full on carbohydrates and red wine, we headed out again into the cold and over to the Boston Harbor. I thought of the tea party and how these silly colonists dressed up as Native Americans.

It was cold by the water, so we decided to head back inside and get cannolis at Modern Pastry Shop. Susie waited in line as saved our seats from the Asian tourists. I was in awe of all the different sweet treats lining the refrigerated counter and I wanted them all. We ended up sharing two cannolis: a chocolate shell one and one with just the ends dipped in chocolate. The shells were filled to order and they were delicious. The shell was crunchy but buttery and tender, while the cheese filling was rich and light and just sweet enough. We asked the Asian tourists to take a photo of us and our cannolis.

After a little bit of shopping, we went to Top of the Hub, the restaurant at the top floor of the Prudential Tower, the second tallest building in Boston. Sitting at the bar having drinks, Susie pointed out all the different parts of Boston to me and I was able to pick out the gold dome of the State Building. After two cocktails, both of which had a combination of vodka, champagne, and Chambord, not to mention the wine from earlier, I was a little drunk. Susie was too.

We needed food again and had little bit of time before going to watch Slumdog Millionaire. After being unsuccessful at the food court and California Pizza Kitchen (both closed just minutes before we got there), we went down the street to The Pour House. Susie warned that the food would be whatever, and it was. My burger was obviously a frozen patty, but the fries, which were probably also frozen, weren't bad. And, my Sam Adams Winter Lager was a winner, though too much for me to finish.

Only at The Pour House, where I noticed that I was the only Asian person there and Susie said that there were probably no Mexican customers and I felt like I was at a frat party, was I reminded of my last trip to Boston. But, it was a bar and I would be going back to New York the next day only to return to San Francisco the following day. Maybe I could like Boston.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

dude, there seems to be a whole lotta drinking going on this day. lol!

Friday, January 09, 2009 10:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home