Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Veggie resolution

When the New Year rolled around, I didn't give much thought to New Year resolutions. It didn't really occur to me. Plus, I've been really good about being healthy and conscious about what I'm putting into my body (things that are usually new year resolutions) over the past year, so I didn't need to make those resolutions. But, after having dinner with Eleanor last week, I realized that I do have new eating goals. I want to eat even more fruits and vegetables and cut back the amount of meat consumed.

So, when Ian suggested that we make sweet potato quesadillas for dinner, I thought it was a little weird but was game. He came over with provisions from Rainbow: two large sweet potatoes, cheese, corn tortillas, an onion, the world's largest clove of garlic, and an avocado. We got to work in the kitchen. I chopped the onion and garlic as he peeled and grated the sweet potatoes. I sautéed the vegetables as he grated cheese. He took over the sautéing and sprinkled in curry powder and ground cumin. It looked like orange mush, and I was still skeptical. Where did he learn this? I asked. His hippie mom and her Moosewood Cookbook, he said.

As he warmed tortillas in a separate pan and started the assembly process, I made a salad with mixed green, baby spinach, carrots, and a balsamic vinaigrette that I made weeks ago but hoped would still be okay and not make us ill. We plated up and sat down to eat.

After a few bites, Ian looked me. What did I think? It was okay, actually surprisingly good. It tasted like sweet potatoes and corn, and nothing of the hippie grossness that I had feared. He didn’t seem convinced that I enjoyed it. But, I cleaned my plate. Perhaps I would include this on my vegetarian repertoire of meals.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home