Saturday, January 07, 2006

Salty fries and fruit bar

After a bit of deliberation and lots of wrangling to get our lazy and exhausted (mine was in pain too) selves out of bed, Jon and I headed over to Frjtz for a quick meal before our movie. Jon had never been before, I had some good meals there, and it was on our way to the theater.

I ordered the Miro crepe—olive tapenade, cured ham, and tomatoes—with an Orangina and we shared a large order of fries with the Thai chili and pesto mayo sauces. The second I bit into my crepe, I knew I made a mistake. The crepe was much too salty. Olives and cured ham? It was a recipe for a dried-out tongue. The fries seemed over salted as well, although they were very crisp. I gave the fries a wipe on my napkin before dunking them in the sauces and then into my mouth. Jon gave me a disapproving and curious look. I should have ordered a salad. What was I thinking? Apparently, I wasn’t.

My Orangina was wonderfully, life-savingly refreshing though. I wished they came in gallon-sized containers. I would have drank all that salt residue away.

After the meal, I wanted something fruity and sweet to cleanse my palate. I bought a Dreyer’s fruit bar from the little store on Hayes and felt silly for doing so since I have a box of those same popsicles in my freezer. We walked to the theater, amongst the evening opera crowd and cool weather, as I ate my popsicle. Jon said a man who walked pass us gave me a look. I think he wanted a lick of my popsicle too.

10 Comments:

Blogger S said...

That totally makes it sound as though we were sleeping together! What would your numerous boyfriends think?

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 11:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was shocked over that racy intro too.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 1:01:00 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

My numerous boyfriends know nothing.

Anyhow, you and I were so not sleeping together--you know it and so would everyone else who knows us. We were very platonically lying in our own separate beds, blocks away from each other.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 6:13:00 PM  
Blogger S said...

Except that I was, quite sadly, sleeping with a doll on which I'd adhered a picture of your face. Better than nothing, I say. Except I drooled on it and your face got all mushy and torn.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 6:22:00 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

jon,
you should use this picture for your susan doll. http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/41f55ab4z3951a50a/b8f1/__sr_/55c8.jpg?pho4xyDBFuEk0CEP
(sorry for the huge link) but remember to laminate it... that way, you can drool all over it without the paper getting soft. it can outstand tears as well.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 7:46:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Dude, your link doesn't work. And, what picture is this of me? Is it appropriate?

Monday, January 16, 2006 5:29:00 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

it's the greatest picture of you, ever! here's another link. this one should work.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jtuthreefour/detail?.dir=b8f1&.dnm=55c8.jpg

Monday, January 16, 2006 8:25:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

That is the greatest picture of me ever.

Monday, January 16, 2006 10:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes a image captures a person's soul. I really think this should at the top of your column when you start critiquing food for the Chronicle.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:22:00 PM  
Blogger S said...

I finally made the doll with that pic. And there's actually been a huge demand for it. Now I'm selling Susan Tudolls on eBay!

Monday, January 23, 2006 10:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home