Friday, January 06, 2006

McCormick and Kuleto's love

I’m wary of anything near Fisherman’s Warf. I fear tandem bikes, fanny packs, the man crouched behind the bush. And, as a rule, I avoid the restaurants there for, ultimately, the same reasons. But, Mark suggested we go to McCormick and Kuleto’s at Ghiradelli Square for dinner. He mentioned that he used to work there, and we were both in for a bit of a surprise when we showed up.

I walk by McCormick and Kuleto’s regularly when I leave my office for my after-lunch stroll but never feel inclined to eat there. It always seemed large and intimidating. But, when we stepped inside that night, the Mark love fest began. Everyone who worked there knew Mark and was ecstatic that he came by. Hugs, catching up, the whole bit. It was quite sweet, and I tried not to look too awkward.

The restaurant is gorgeous. The multi-layers and booths that face the water guarantee every diner a magnificent view of the bay through the panoramic wall of glass. The warm lighting and stained wood add a nice touch of homey comfort in the large dining space.

But, it was dark and I couldn’t see the bay and there was a much more entertaining show going on at our table. Each waiter would see Mark, stop by, ask about his new job, chat about babies and wives. Busboys and managers greeted him. It felt like the news of his arrival spread and everyone needed a glimpse of his glory. An Asian man rubbed his shoulders, asked if he’d been working out, and described his jacket as a “touch me” one. A couple of waiters brought by potted orchids and placed them on our table for reasons I couldn’t quite understand but it was something to the effect of providing us privacy. A Spanish-speaking man referenced me and asked Mark, “Su novia?” to which I adamantly shook my head and said no. I was amused and Mark turned red.

We didn’t get through much of our meal though. We ordered the seared tuna that came with a Japanese-style salad that was delightfully light with a sweet and salty dressing. The tuna was fine. And, our mixed green salad was good, with crumbled cheese and walnuts as lovely additions. We had planned for the tortilla soup and one of the night’s specials but they never came. Instead, we got a large seafood appetizer assortment of fried calamari, coconut shrimp, shrimp cocktail, crab cakes, and beer-battered shrimp that came because they loved Mark. The dish was more fried food than I would have usually cared for, but it would have been rude not to eat it. And, by the time we worked our way through that and several more conversations with the kind staff, we were full. They also sent us what I could only assume was an expensive bottle of white wine that was spectacular (I feel lame for never remembering the wine I have)--fruity, just a touch of sweetness, and clean. We had the crème brulee for dessert, which was what had been missing for the previous night’s dinner, and it was a satisfying end to the meal.

Mark assured me to not expect the same kind of service if I were to come in on my own for lunch. I think I’ll save my McCormick and Kuleto’s meals just for him.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make it sound like this doesn't happen everywhere I take you.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 1:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home