Saturday, November 05, 2005

Why not a biscuit?

The Frog Hollow folks at the Ferry Building farmer’s market are some of my favorite. Throughout the summer they would stand plopping samples of mouthwatering peaches (I’m salivating right now as I type) and jewel-like plums onto my palm so that I could slurp up its vibrant summer flavors. But this morning there were no peaches, no plums. There were preserves instead. Feeling disappointed, I didn’t venture too much closer to their stall and turned inside to get a pastry instead.

The cheddar and scallion scone they make is a good scone. The outside is firm and crisp, while the instead is moist, flakey, and airy. All things a good scone should be. And, I was surprised at how the cheddar and scallion worked well together in a scone, something that I would not normally associate with being savory. Neither the cheddar nor scallion was overpowering, yet their presence was definitely noticeable.

As I wondered through the Ferry Building eating my scone, I wondered why it wasn’t a biscuit.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

i did some research as to the difference in a biscuit and a scone and discovered that there really isn't a difference. a scone is suppose to be sweet, and a biscuit savory (or plain-ish). the only thing i could think of is the way it's cut, but that's a lame difference. i'll keep looking.

Sunday, November 13, 2005 5:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home