Sunday, October 30, 2005

Dinner for one

It’s been a lazy Sunday and my big accomplishment of the day was to make dinner. I needed a reason to leave the house and finally did at 5:30 in the evening (after Scott got home and asked if I slept all day or not) to walk to Safeway to buy an onion for my tomato sauce.

Tonight’s dinner was chicken in a tomato sauce with roasted potatoes and asparagus. I doubted whether or not wanted to put the energy into making it or just have a salad instead but I decided that I had to do something productive today. So, potatoes got scrubbed, chopped, doused with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and put in the oven. The chicken drumsticks were browned on all sides and then removed from the pan. I made a quick tomato sauce with thinly sliced onions, some chopped garlic, a can of diced tomatoes, and a sprinkling of red chili flakes. Once the sauce had been simmering for about fifteen minutes, I placed the chicken in the sauce to finish cooking. My asparagus got a little drizzling of olive oil and a touch of salt and pepper and into the oven. The asparagus and potatoes then got tossed with a little bit of parmesan cheese when they were tender.

It was a bit much to go through for dinner just for one and, sure, having a can of chili, as Scott suggested, would have been easy and quick. But chopping and stirring pots while dancing along the way felt good.

2 Comments:

Blogger S said...

Were you wearing your high heels as you danced around making food?

Monday, October 31, 2005 9:41:00 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Not this time around. The extra couple of inches strains my back when I have lean over to chop.

Monday, October 31, 2005 4:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home