Thursday, October 20, 2005

Urban family dinner (part II)

The Tuesday night dinners that Scott and his friend Brandy make for each other every week took place on a Thursday this time around. It was Scott’s turn to cook this week and since he asked me much earlier in the week if I’d be home for it I couldn’t not be. Plus, there would be gay boys, shag carpeting, guacamole. There was no way I could pass that up.

Scott’s dinner menu of choice was chicken fajitas. He laid out quite a spread. When I got home, he had already prepped the chicken (he even put a pad of butter in the pan just waiting for the chicken to pop out of the refrigerator), placed the tortillas in the microwave, arranged bowls of salsa, cilantro, sour cream and shredded cheese on the coffee table, and was just finishing up the final seasoning adjustments to the guacamole. I helped by putting extra beer in the refrigerator, eating chips, and telling him that something was missing to his guacamole but couldn’t decide on what.

Brandy’s friend Matt was joining us for dinner too and this was the first time I met him. Scott and I both had a bit of a crush on him (tall, thin, rides a bicycle). Needless to say, I was happy that he was seated next to me on the shag rug.

We carried our plates of food into the living room and situated ourselves on the floor around the coffee table. For some reason, sitting on the rug around the coffee table is the best spot in the house for any sort of meal (second only to standing next to the refrigerator with take-out box and fork in hand). We passed bowls of various fajita fillings around the table to complete our wraps. I tried to turn my fajita into a Mission-style burrito by trying to replicate the hand motion used by those skilled burrito-istas but didn’t quite succeed—my faux-burrito burst at the bottom and oozed refried beans.

We ate and drank Tecates and Fat Tires, talking about boys (Scott and Matt had dated the same guy), more boys, girls, and various movies. When the conversation turned to architecture and neo-urbanism, I faded away, trying to look interested but not able to fully pull it off. Scott gave me a knowing, thanks-for-hanging-out-with-my-architect-friends tap with his socked foot.

We ended dinner with brownies from a box, topped with chocolate ice cream, and washed down with more beer. A good dinner all-around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home