Sunday, October 09, 2005

Old lady friend

Mrs. Wallach passed away on Monday. She slipped away as her son and her friend Flossie were reading to poetry for her. I can’t imagine a sweeter way for her to leave the planet.

For almost two years I spent part of each weekend with her. We read The New Yorker, demolished dandelions, watched CSPAN and The Daily Show (she referred to Jon Stewart as “her friend”), chatted about her family, movies, politics, and the world of education.

And, we ate. We journeyed throughout Berkeley to some of her favorite places. We had lattes at the Café Roma on College, pizza slices at The Cheese Board, fresh bread and pastries at La Farine. We always made friends at Bateau Ivre, the butchers on College, and Andronico’s where we shopped for groceries.

Each day was a little adventure in its own way and I’ll miss the mornings in her garden, the strolls throughout Berkeley with her knuckley but smooth hand in mine (which she always said were nice and warm), the runs for cake. But, especially, I’ll miss her, her humor, her charm, her wisdom and grace.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Susan
Thank you for lightening up my day. The way you described the old lady and your feelings about her, is just beautifull and has touched my hearth.I hope your good memories of her will remain in your hearth and comfort you, when you miss her.
I might bee back here some day. By the way I am from Denmark, so my english might not bee correct.
yours sincerely Evi

Monday, October 10, 2005 12:48:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sorry about Mrs. Wallach. I know you're sad, but from what you told me about her she lived a rich and full life and had a wonderful and loving family that cared for her deeply.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 9:16:00 AM  
Blogger S said...

If I was going to make a joke here, a fitting one would be about cannabalism. But instead I'll just say something about how it's obviously sad when somebody leaves you, for whatever reason, but it sounds like you really did a lot to bring some joy into her life. And I'm sure it meant a lot to her to have you there, hanging out with her and her friend John Stewart. And eating at the Cheese Board.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 1:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home