Wednesday, September 28, 2005

PB&J

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches aren't just a childhood favorite. They're an anytime and anyone favorite. It was my dinner of choice tonight as both Scott and I were too tired to make anything real to eat. He suggested we put a frozen pizza in the oven. But when he discovered that there were none to put in the oven, he opened a pack of Pasta Roni and started cooking, leaving me with having to decide what I could dine on.

Peanut butter and strawberry jam on wheat bread just seemed like the right choice. I hadn't had one in who knows how long. I didn't even know if I still had peanut butter that I would be willing to eat. But, after a little hunt through the outer hidden reaches of my refrigerator, I came upon the peanut butter and strawberry preserves.

After spreading a generous portion of peanut butter on one slice and jam on the other, I cut my sandwich in half right down the middle and took a bite. Strangely satisfying. I forgot the stickiness of peanut butter and how I have to lick the roof of my mouth to clean it off.

My cheese course came next: two slices of sharp cheddar (with the moldy spots cut off, of course).

And, of course, there was wine with the meal, a $5 (on sale) bottle of Yellowtail merlot that had been in the fridge for almost a week. Cheap wine and peanut butter. Perfect. Scott and I sat across from each other, staring intently into each others' eyes while whispering sweet nothings, he eating his Pasta Roni and me with my PB&J.

2 Comments:

Blogger S said...

You wish the last part of that happened. My guess is that Scott ate before you, and you just stared at him sleeping on the couch. Leaning over to smell him you spilled some crubs into his hair, and frantically trying the clean them out of his manly mane, you almost woke him.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 10:34:00 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

ted is sooo right!

Thursday, September 29, 2005 12:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home