Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Burma Superstar

I know I found the right organization to work with when we go out to eat. Tuesday’s lunch was my third meal with these new co-workers and it was awesome.

Anh chose to go to Burma Superstar on Clement and 4th for her going-away lunch. The seven of us rode the 38 Geary together. I watched the sun fade into grayish haze the closer we ventured toward the ocean and fretted over my outfit (I wore a summer skirt wishfully thinking that today would be as warm as yesterday). But, I was excited and signs of rain weren’t going to dampen my spirit. We were going to Burma Superstar! The last time I was out on Clement I walked by Superstar and the crowd standing in front, and wanted to know what all these other people apparently knew. I was going to know.

We walked through the doors and a mouthwatering aroma welcomed us. I rubbed my belly in hungry anticipation. This was going to be good.

After careful deliberation, I ordered the catfish chowder and ginger lemonade. (It was a hard choice not to get the Superstar Sangria with lychee berries and Asian pear, but I knew that I couldn’t go back to the office and interview people slightly tipsy—it would have to wait for another time.)

The chowder was made of ground catfish, deep-fried lentils (I think), and rice noodles in what appeared to be a tomato-based broth. It looked and smelled like a Vietnamese dish that my mom makes. Anh and Billy told me the Vietnamese name but I forgot. It tasted like it too. The catfish bits were floating around in their flaky glory. The lentils added a nice crunchy texture. And the soup was rich and flavorful. I spooned up every little bit.

The ginger lemonade was refreshingly delicious too. A little tangy at first with a finishing kick of ginger that wasn’t too overpowering.

Everyone else’s food was yummy too. Bowls, plates, glasses, spoons, and forks were passed around the table as we all tasted one another’s choices and mmmed in unison. I hope to be here a while.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

Melanie kept saying I should go to this place, and I still haven't, and clearly I fail at life

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 12:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home