Sunday, October 16, 2005

Kate's

After a late-night and slightly drunken scavenger hunt at the new de Young Museum, there wasn’t anything I wanted more than eggs and potatoes (except for perhaps more sleep).

Colin, Eleanor, and Toby spent the night at my house after finishing up with our scavenger hunt at about five in the morning. When we all roused ourselves out of bed (or shag carpet and sleeping bags), we ventured over to Kate’s on Haight at Fillmore for an early afternoon breakfast.

We were lucky. We didn’t have to wait in line as usually is the case at Kate’s on a Sunday. We actually feared karmic ass-kicking as we cut in line in front of probably a thousand people at the museum, but the waiting-in-line gods were apparently smiling upon us.

We sat at one of the tables covered with a red checkered tablecloth and looked over to the specials board, where pancakes, omelets, and egg scrambles were written in colorful chalk. We nodded when we were asked if we wanted coffee or not, and I was happy to get something into my stomach.

I ordered one of the special scrambles with a name that can’t recall because it was so long and slightly elaborate but consisted of eggplant, feta, peppers, mushroom, onions, and egg. It came with homefries (yes, potatoes!) and a biscuit that was flecked with red and green. I don’t know if I was ridiculously hungry or if my body was starting to feel the effects of the previous night’s drinking, but I ate the massive plate of food up. I had some of Colin’s French Toast Orgy and Eleanor’s buttermilk pancakes too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home