Thursday, November 17, 2005

Cafe Lombard

Café Lombard looks like it could be a great place to have a meal. Its unassuming front gives way to lush-looking green velvet armchairs inside and flowers of the plastic varietals on every table.

I went there on a lunchtime adventure in hopes of finding a new favorite lunch spot. When I stepped through the doors, I felt like turning around back into the bright sun. I was the only person in the whole large space other than the Asian lady who acted as hostess, waitress, and chef. But, I stuck it out and chose my own seat among the many empty tables.

After shouting my order of a spinach omelet with cheddar cheese and homefries to the only other person in the place, I settled in for the long haul. As there was no one else to watch and I didn’t want to continue shouting a conversation across the room to the hostess/waitress/chef, I pulled out my book and read as easy listening music (I think turned on just for me) poured out of the speakers.

My food arrived very promptly and steaming. The omelet was huge, taking up half the plate. The first bite burned my mouth, it was so hot. The time it took for it to travel from the skillet to my mouth must have been less than minute. The chef didn’t skimp on the cheese, as it was oozing out of egg and gave the omelet a nice, creamy consistency. There was good amount of spinach too, turning the omelet nearly completely green. It was a decent omelet.

The homefries, however, were a different story. They were too salty and had no crisp, crunchy bits. They seemed like homefries that came out of a bag label Ore-Ida.

I finished all I could eat of the omelet and homefries, as I watched the hostess/waitress/chef lady ready all the place settings, wondering if the polite thing to do would be to talk to her and wondering if there would diners to use all those forks laid out so very nicely.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One person? No wonder they never answer the phone. I work at a nearby hotel under agreement to receive free food in exchange for advertising for them but they do not seem very well equipped to deliver when there is only one person running the restaurant.

-Gxcad

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 7:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home