Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Slimy turkey and leathery tomato galore

Dinner tonight consisted of a low-carb version sandwich. It wasn’t because I was watching my carbohydrate intake. Nothing like that. I just was too lazy to hunt for the bread. Simple.

Driving around, meeting people, and seeing places hasn’t left me much time to cook recently. It hasn’t even given me much time to eat the food that’s been taking up space in the refrigerator. So, tonight’s attempt at dinner was influenced more by the need to eat what I bought days (probably weeks) ago than anything else.

There was the head of lettuce that was starting to turn color. There was the avocado that was way smushier than a good avocado should be. There was the lone tomato left over from my last barbeque. There was the unopened package of cheddar (I just realized right now that I still have a cheese platter from the barbeque too—does anyone want some cheese?). And, there was the sliced turkey that was verging on slimy. Sure, not all that appetizing, but still perfectly safe to eat.

I sliced the avocado and scraped away the dark parts. The tomato, although rather soft and with a leathery-looking skin, still tasted like tomato. Once the dark parts of the lettuce leaves were ripped off, they were as good as new. And, as for the turkey, I just tried not to think that I bought it freshly sliced just for me probably two weeks ago and was now far from fresh.

The turkey, cheese, and avocado all got wrapped up in leaves of lettuce, like little lettuce tacos. It wasn’t bad. (The avocado being overly ripe was actually really good and provided a nice creaminess to the bland lettuce.) It wasn’t that great either. It served its purpose: it satiated my hunger while making a dent in emptying out my refrigerator. And, that can’t be that bad.

2 Comments:

Blogger S said...

Why don't you ever post about your breakfast? That seems like an oversight.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 4:42:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I have. Please reference February 9 and 13. But, truthfully, breakfast doesn't happen as often as I like, and when it does it's usually a bowl of yogurt with some fruit and cereal on a good day. Mostly, it's a banana in my car.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 4:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home