Friday, August 27, 2010

Making a meal out of nothing

Being unemployed and extra frugal is making me rethink my eating habits. Particularly, I feel like I absolutely need to not waste a single edible thing in my house (I've been pretty good at not being wasteful before but now it's been taken to a whole new level) and be more clever with food I already have in the fridge or in the cupboards. And, quite honestly, I'm not actually sure what I have in the house; I feel like there are things in the cupboards and freezer that have been there for years.

Today, after coming back from coffee with Karen and Andy (Karen kindly bought me a deliciously rich and caramel-y latte from the Blue Bottle kiosk), I was hungry and I thought I had nothing to eat at the house. So, I rummaged. There was an almost empty box of macaroni noodles, half a can of sardines from a leftover salad earlier in the week, a tomato that should've been eaten a days ago, a jar of Kalamata olives in the back of the refrigerator, a red onion, some garlic. Totally enough to make lunch.

I got some water boiling for the noodles. As that boiled away, I diced half the red onion and tomato, sliced the garlic thin, and chopped a small handful of olives. I sauteed the onion over low heat in olive oil, then added the garlic, threw in the tomato, and smushed the sardines in the pan. I added some water from the pot to give it more of a saucey consistency. Then, I tossed in the olives and stirred. When the noodles were cooked, I dumped them into the pan, gave it all a quick toss with some salt and pepper, and scooped it into my waiting bowl. After drizzling some olive oil over the top, I took my fork to it and ate. It wasn't bad, kinda good actually. It smelled of fish though, but I suppose that's what I get for cooking sardines. It might have been better with some fresh herbs, a squeeze of lemon, or maybe some capers. But, overall, it was totally more than edible.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

dad gets all this canned food for free because he's old now. lol. i rummaged like you in our kitchen and i found canned chicken for a chicken pasta salad for lunch the next day. not bad. but not good. sometimes, you just gotta know going in that rummaged foods might not be that great. but at least it's cheap eats!

Monday, August 30, 2010 6:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Jackie said...

Good for you for being creative with what you have! Being a young stay at home mom, I often times do the same. Some of the creations we come up with are a little off the wall but super delish!

Friday, September 17, 2010 1:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home