Sunday, January 14, 2007

The un-hip hip

Manoella had described Ritual Cafe as too cool, and she was right. I met her there before we headed off to dinner at La Rondalla, and as I waited for her arrival I sat through a procession of uber-hipsters. The boys were all in jeans so tight they must have been stiched on. And, of course, everyone in the place, including myself, donned hoodies. A couple even rode their bicycles right in through the doorway and up to the counter.

I was glad to leave Hipsterland and walk over to La Rondalla where the servers and cooks know nothing of the term hipster, other than dishing out food to the drunken sort, and care not for pretension. I ordered the birria de chivo, which is a goat stew, Manoella ordered a fried beef dish, and we both had margaritas.

When the our waitress came with our food, she placed the birria in front of Manoella, perhaps assuming that no Asian girl would dare order a goat stew when there were so many taco, burrito, and fajita options. But, I'm no regular Asian. I know how to eat goat and roll my R's. I spooned on the diced onions, squeezed on some lime, rolled my tortilla, and dug in. The stew was thick with piles of tender goat meat in a rich broth. And, for those who've never eaten goat, it tasted like lamb.

The margarita was good and strong, so strong that Manoella actually asked to have more mix put in hers.

Hoodie or not, this was more my style.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home