Sunday, May 21, 2006

Be My Guest

The quest for spicy Thai food continues. This time, it led me to Be My Guest on Clement and 11th, where Jon was having his birthday dinner.

This time around, I ordered the duck curry and specifically told the waitress that I wanted it spicier than normal. There was no funny business about telling her my plan and why I wanted it spicy. I just wanted it spicy. When she announced the duck curry, I was excited. This was it. I could feel it. My taste buds would wake up, my nose would start to run, my eyes would water. This was it.

I spooned some of that curry on to the coconut milk scented rice and dug in. The curry was delicious, rich and creamy from the coconut milk and full of flavor. The chunks of pineapple and loganberry worked surprisingly well with the other ingredients. There were plenty of pieces of duck that wasn’t fatty at all, even with the skin left on. But as scrumptious as the curry and duck were, they weren’t exactly what I wanted. Sure, I wanted duck and I wanted curry, but I also wanted them to be spicy, I wanted them to kick my ass, and I told the waitress so.

So, I left yet another Thai restaurant stuffed with good food but still disappointed by the lack of spice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home