Thursday, April 19, 2007

Curry test run #2

I’m getting closer at finding a lamb curry winner. Tonight was the second trial run in my quest to win the Lamb Curry Off and, quite possibly, the start of Curry Thursdays. And, this curry, unlike the last one I made, tasted like Indian curry.

Once again, it was a pretty straightforward recipe, as I’m starting to believe that most curry recipes are. It started by cleaning out my coffee grinder so that I could use it as a spice grinder. In it, I ground up some dried red chilies, black peppercorns, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, poppy seeds, paprika, cinnamon, coriander, and cloves. The ground spices then got moved to the blender where I also added garlic cloves, fresh ginger, dry coconut, and some water, and turned that into a smooth paste. I browned two onions, diced up, in some oil. Then, I scooped in the spice paste and cooked that for about 15 minutes. After, went in the cubes of lamb for about five minute and chopped tomatoes for another five. Finally, I poured in some water and let it all simmer for about an hour. And, when it had finally thickened up (it had looked very soupy and I added some more dry coconut to it at the end, which ended up added an unappealing little bit of textural bite to the curry), I poured in a little bit of coconut milk.

Eleanor had come over to help with the tasting and eating of the pot full of curry, and Scott had invited one of his work friends. They all mmm’ed and scooped up spoonfuls of rice and curry. Eleanor said it tasted like Indian food. And, it was spicy enough to make me sweat but not cry.

I smell a possible winner.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

when is the curry off again? i want to be there...

Saturday, May 12, 2007 5:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home