Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Tenderloin Thai shopping

I went shopping earlier this evening at Battambang, a little market with tons of Southeast Asian cooking essentials (kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, fresh bamboo shoots, those little green eggplants that actually look like eggs), on Eddy between Leavenworth and Jones for tomorrow night's Thai food and board games, and met some nice folks. Here's the conversation I had at the checkout line:

Small Lady Staring Up At Me: You're tall. How are you? You must be 5'9".
Me: I'm 5'11" and that's really tall for an Asian girl.
SLSUAM: You could be Miss Universe.
M [protruding my belly and rubbing it]: No, I'm not thin enough.
SLSUAM: I'm 4 feet. Are you Cambodian?
M: No, I'm Chinese.
Other Small Lady In Line [speaking in Cantonese]: You are tall.
M [in Cantonese as well]: Yup, I'm tall.
OSLIL: Are both your parents tall?
M: Yeah, they're pretty tall. My dad's about my height.
OSLIL: You're tall and pretty.
M: Um...
OSLIL: Are you married?
M: Um, no. I don't even have a boyfriend.
OSLIL: Well, I'm sure that's your choice.
M: Yeah. Okay, bye.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were those old ladies hitting on you? Was that the point of the story?

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 11:11:00 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

there doesn't need to be a point to any story susan writes. i think the lady may have a "liang jay" of a son for you to meet. if you're lucky, he might be 4'1".

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 9:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it, but what happened to the nice SLSUAM who thought you could be Miss Universe? (I like her for noting your beauty in the checkout line.) I hope she didn't feel too left out once the conversation switched to Cantonese.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 12:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home