Monday, April 24, 2006

Brown bagging

I’ve been packing my meals to work more often lately. It’s in an attempt to save up for a summer vacation (I can go to Thailand with airfare and accommodations at a four-star hotel for two weeks for about $1500) and those looming student loan payments.

Today’s meals have been a peach flavored yogurt cup and the slice of rhubarb-orange pie that Colin and Eleanor brought to me last night. Of all the artificially flavored yogurt flavors, I think peach is my favorite. And, the slice of pie, which was supposed to be my afternoon snack, was just delicious in the AM. It was tart and tangy. The sprinkling of sugar on the crust was a nice touch. The crust, however, was a bit soggy, although I blame that on overnight refrigeration, and not on any party of the Bakesale staff (I don’t think they can do anything to make my love for them waver).

For lunch, I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. There’s something really satisfying about a good old PB&J. The peanut butter was gooey and sticking to the roof of my mouth, as I was talking to students. The bread was soft and smushy, and if I wasn’t carefully, I would smush the bread too hard and peanut butter would ooze through the thin bread layer.

I followed that with some baby carrots, which were slimy and soft. I had some slimy and soft carrots last week, and after about six of them I was thoroughly disgusted and threw them away. I thought I’d give them another try today, and they were still slimy even after I ran several napkins over them, in hopes of absorbing some of the moisture. I stuck them in the refrigerator, hoping that the cold would help rectify the softness problem. I don’t know about the slimy part though.

We’ll see if by packing every meal to work if I’ll be able to afford Thailand. It’ll be tough, especially if I spend my lunch break eyeing the menu at Slanted Door and wondering when I’ll be able to wrangle myself a reservation.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

i wrote a haiku about my own peanut butter minus jelly sandwich and i had carrots with my lunch, too. gosh, it's like you and i are having lunch together... just four hundred miles away from one another. aww... we're so cute!

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 8:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home